Go Back   HTCGeeks Forum > Pocket PC's > Dell > Axim X51v
Follow us on Twitter !!!

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Smartphone: HW6965
Pocket PC(s): X51v

jclampy is on a distinguished road

Yeah, well devices seem to have different size pagepools. Regardless of what MS may recommend. I'll also stand by what was posted in 2006 as well, that was when xda first learned and posted about pagepool. I would say pagepool would have been investigated and correct values posted.

I did ask for quite a while whether someone wanted to test pagepool sizes and give experience of their findings. After what seemed like long enough, I had ended up doing all testing myself anyway.

No one disagrees with me yet that 4MB is not the best for this Dynamite A02 v8.0 RTM ROM. So, it stands that 4MB is the conclusion for now.

I'm always open to hear from someone that has experienced something to the contrary with this Dynamite A02 v8.0 RTM ROM. Also, I would like to hear if someone has increased performance with Makuu A09 523F Classic ROM by changing pagepool size, and what MB they have found is best.

Kind regards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Sponsored Links

Protected by Akismet
Blog with WordPress
Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 AM

Arrow Pagepool answered continued...

To mateobertrand and everyone,

I just tested 2MB pagepool on this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM and found some interesting bad results as I expected.

These are the most notable result changes comparing to default 8MB pagepool:
Internal Memory Write performance down 35%
Program Loading Times performance was an extra 40% longer.

These are the most notable result changes comparing to custom 4MB pagepool:
Program Loading Times performance was an extra 26% longer.

In *real world* tests comparing to custom 4MB pagepool;
I noticed the OS lose 'grip' while scrolling long lists/folders and hand writing in 'notes' was poor.
Games framerates were not smooth either.

I did not test multitasking or any *pressure* tests as it struggled under normal tests/use so no point.

I will not test 1MB pagepool myself since 2MB is so bad.
I will test with pagepool disabled now and post results as this would be interesting to see and hopefully close this chapter.
The Following User Says Thank You to jclampy For This Useful Post:
mateobertrand (12-15-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 AM

Arrow Pagepool answered completed...

I completed testing 0MB pagepool on this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM and found some interesting results although some bad as I expected.

Internal Memory Write performance down 35% as well.
Internal Memory Read performance down 3.5%. (usually this does not change).
Internal Memory File List Performance down 6.5%. (usually this does not change).
Program Loading Times performance was actually 5% faster.

Internal Memory Write performance down 35% as well.
Internal Memory Read performance down 3.5%. (usually this does not change).
Internal Memory File List Performance down 7.5%. (usually this does not change).
Program Loading Times performance was about 15% faster.

I noticed scrolling long lists/folders and hand writing in 'notes' was at the same excellent level.
Games framerates were actually pretty good as well.

I did not test multitasking or any *pressure* tests although this could be interesting, I won't pursue it though due to the lower internal memory performance already shown.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 AM

Question Conclusion or more testing?

Oh well, I guess that further cements 4MB pagepool for this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM as being the best.

Although mateobertrand did touch on something that could be interesting though, how about 4.5MB?

I had thought about these half MB sizes before, the only reason I had not tested them yet is due to the fact that the PagePool Editor does not have 4.5MB or half MB sizes as an option.

Since an MS source has refered to a half MB size PagePool then it must be compatible with WM.

It would be interesting if 4.5MB is the ultimate pagepool size.

I will manually change it in hex and test it next...

Maybe somebody else might like to test 4.5MB on a different ROM and tell us if that pagepool size is an overall best amount for all ROMs???
Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 AM

Default little more detail please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateobertrand View Post
Reviewing some values, 'googling', in fact there is a "hole" in performance between values of PP set from 6 to 8 Mb PP.
What do you mean by 'hole' can you elaborate please?

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 PM

mateobertrand is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclampy View Post
What do you mean by 'hole' can you elaborate please?

Thanks.
I mean decreased performance in these interval of PP sizes, or less responsiveness, and recover again above of the 8 Mb (I don't why), specifically around 12 Mb to 16 Mb but at cost of less free ram; in fact the advice from MS is a range between 4 Mb as a minimum an 6 Mb as a maximum value, considering any value above of 6 Mb a waste of RAM in a non direct relation with responsiveness or increased performance of the device.
There are some explanations and advices in the following link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library./aa915364.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to mateobertrand For This Useful Post:
jclampy (12-22-2009)
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
To mateobertrand and everyone,

I just tested 2MB pagepool on this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM and found some interesting bad results as I expected.

Program Loading Times performance was an extra 40% longer.

Program Loading Times performance was an extra 26% longer.

I noticed the OS lose 'grip' while scrolling long lists/folders and hand writing in 'notes' was poor.

I did not test multitasking or any *pressure* tests as it struggled under normal tests/use so no point.

I will test with pagepool disabled now and post results as this would be interesting to see and hopefully close this chapter.
Good data, so Dynamite WM6.1 A02 V8.0 perform a lot better with 4 Mb PP that in any other PP size, but apparently not any single ROM for X51v must be run below of 4Mb PP; I'm thinking in the latest WM 6.5 Makuu Lite versions which are set to 3.2 Mb, but may be the best is set these roms to 4 Mb PP and still keep a good amount of free ram.
With PP set to "Zero" we will be going in some way to a "dynamic PP scenario" which I had been reading and can produce unpredictable performance because basically the device can use or will try to use the all ram available, because there is not a PP limit; however the device will be running the apps, this PP set to Zero is not recommended; that's I got after read some different forums for WM PDAs .
Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 PM

Lightbulb Another thing to consider about zero pagepool

I forgot to mention free RAM after ROM flash which is another important factor.

When going from 4MB pagepool to 2MB it when from 32MB free to 34MB free which is predictable.

But when using zero pagepool the free RAM was exactly the same as when using 8MB pagepool. Only 28MB free RAM which is strange. Not sure why that is, but I did check with hex editor so it was set to zero!

I agree that maybe under 4MB is not good for X51v using WM6.1. I can't comment on WM6.5.x as I have not done enough pagepool testing under WM6.5.x to get a full picture yet.

I can say this much;
*I have tested Makuu WM6.5.x A11 5574 Classic Lite 5.2.21876 build21876.5.0.72 with 3.2MB pagepool and 5MB pagepool. There was no significant change in performance apart from program loading time was 12% to 15% quicker. I also thought CFCard to Device memory was faster but not confirmed.
*I have tested Makuu WM6.5.x A11 5CFA Classic Lite 5.2.28002 build28002.5.3.0 with 3.2MB pagepool and 4MB pagepool. There was no significant change in benchmarks apart from program loading time was 5% quicker with CPU set to AUTO. When CPU set to MAX after ROM flash there was no change in program loading time but after I had personalised the OS and settings I actually had a program loading time test result of 47% slower.
Also when going from 3.2MB to 4MB the honeycomb start menu became sluggish to use.

I would say this is why Makuu moved towards 3.2MB pagepool?

Note; that I have never had an oddball test result in all my testing experience. Yes results do move slightly per run (maybe 0.25% ???), but they stay within a relative area so you can definately see patterns when comparing multiple results.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM

dgti is on a distinguished road

Good work jclampy
The Following User Says Thank You to dgti For This Useful Post:
jclampy (12-16-2009)
Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 AM

Question Wpa-psk tkip

Hi everyone,

Someone I know is having problems getting WiFi to connect at his home.

Can someone please confirm that this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM is working 100% fine with WPA-PSK TKIP.

Please include whether you had to use any fixes or whether it worked straight after flash or hard reset. Also, whether you have to do the on-off-on trick.

I am asking because I don't have WiFi at my home to tryout.
If I can confirm it is not the ROM then it must be his router/network settings.

Thankyou for all responses, much appreciated.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Someone I know is having problems getting WiFi to connect at his home.

Can someone please confirm that this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM is working 100% fine with WPA-PSK TKIP.

Please include whether you had to use any fixes or whether it worked straight after flash or hard reset. Also, whether you have to do the on-off-on trick.

I am asking because I don't have WiFi at my home to tryout.
If I can confirm it is not the ROM then it must be his router/network settings.

Thankyou for all responses, much appreciated.
When I did a try to this rom dynamite WM6.1 A02 v8.0 two weeks ago, I had tested the WiFi WPA-TKIP-PSK connectivity with two different routers at home (TrendNet and Huawei) with not problems; I just get connected after flash without any trick, and I had navigated using the PIE included and with the youtubeplayer from Google without any single problem. After the reset I could re-connect just straight without problems. I didn't test how will perform with all of the normal custom apps. installed, but considering the WiFi performance at the beginning I can say that this ROM must not have problems at any stage with WPA encryption. Currenlty I'm not running this rom but I had taken these notes.
jclampy (12-17-2009)
Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 PM

Question That is great, thanks.

Thankyou mateobertrand,

That is what I wanted to hear.

Ok, so it must be his router/network settings.

Or, maybe it is something to do with the wireless power utility.
Can you remember if you tried with "wirelessPower" utility installed either old version or 1.01 from either this thread or from mikelspikel on the mobilitysite???

Did you have to create network connection on the X51v?
Do you do settings on your routers and do you set both your routers up exactly the same way?
May I ask if you could post your router settings for WPA-PSK TKIP minus any personal information ofcourse, or you could change the numbers.

I would help set it up for him but he lives about 250k's away.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 AM

Unhappy Oh no...

Damn, I just found out the two benchmarks I ran last week are not 100% accurate.

I will fill you all in as soon as I understand the full extent of the problem.

Edit;
Ok, problem is worse for me than the benchmark results I posted last week.
Briefly speaking, what has happened is just over a week ago I sold one of my X51v.
The X51v I had been using up to last week was a revision A03. The one I am using now is a revision A01.
Too late to change that now, it is done. Whether good or bad I am now using revision A01 regardless.
It has taken me a week to notice but there is a difference in some of the benchmark results I am getting because of the revision change in X51v. The biggest change is in Main Storage (Device Memory) Write performance. There was one differing number of program loading time when running CPU at maximum but I don't use CPU at maximum in everyday use, only benchmarking. Also, the Main Storage (Device Memory) File List performance differed by just over 5% in either revision over the test runs.
***Every other result is acceptable as well less than 5% difference***

I have attached a screenshot so you can have a look at the difference between A01 and A03 revisions X51v.

Spreadsheet is similar to others I have posted.
'Straight' = Straight after ROM flash
'After Setup' = After installed programs and personalised OS
'Auto' = CPU Auto
'Max' = CPU Max
All results higher number is better apart from 'sktools/program loading time' where lower number is better.

Conclusion;
All benchmarking I done before just over a week ago is fine.
Future benchmarking will be fine I just have to compare to the new template run I have done.
The 0MB pagepool and 2MB pagepool benchmark tests I had done about a week ago I need to compare the results to my new template and I will re-review my findings in the post that follows.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Revision Comparison.bmp (909.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by jclampy; 12-19-2009 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Fully explained situation now.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:44 AM

Arrow Re-revised results

Here are the Re-revised results of the 0MB pagepool and 2MB pagepool benchmarks I ran about a week ago when comparing to new base template run.

2MB pagepool on this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM
These are the only most notable result changes comparing to custom 4MB pagepool:
34MB free RAM after ROM flash.
Program Loading Times performance was an extra 20% longer.

0MB pagepool on this Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM
28MB free RAM after ROM flash.
Internal Memory File List Performance down 5.5%. (usually this does not change so much).
Program Loading Times performance was about 18% faster.

I noticed scrolling long lists/folders and hand writing in 'notes' was at the same excellent level.
Games framerates were actually pretty good as well.

***Taking the re-revised results into consideration we can see that 0MB pagepool needs to be tested further to see exactly how far it can be pushed. Especially when it comes to multi-tasking or stressing the hardware and whether having only 28MB free RAM after ROM flash is a killer or not. So even though 0MB pagepool is not a record breaker the book is not closed yet!!!***

Last edited by jclampy; 12-19-2009 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Made it look nicer.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Thankyou mateobertrand,

That is what I wanted to hear.

Ok, so it must be his router/network settings.

Or, maybe it is something to do with the wireless power utility.
Can you remember if you tried with "wirelessPower" utility installed either old version or 1.01 from either this thread or from mikelspikel on the mobilitysite???

Did you have to create network connection on the X51v?
Do you do settings on your routers and do you set both your routers up exactly the same way?
May I ask if you could post your router settings for WPA-PSK TKIP minus any personal information ofcourse, or you could change the numbers.

I would help set it up for him but he lives about 250k's away.

Cheers.
Well I have to ammend or correct what I had said in the post above: the trendnet router (TEW-452BRP) is not compatible with WPA-PSK TKIP encryption with the 802.11b devices -this include our X51v and other cell phone with WiFi connectivity tested-, with 802.11g like my laptop and home PC work Ok; I can say this because with the other router Huawei EchoLife HG520S with the "default" setup I can connect easily with this Huawei Router using WPA-PSK TKIP to my ax and with other mobile devices like that mentioned cell phone. So I can say that more than the setup itself there is a deficiency associated with some routers models that make almost impossible to get connected with our X51V (802.11b WiFi device) or need to go for a special or complicated setup to get connected; but this Trendnet router just going to WEP (shared key) encryption can connect easily with the 802.11b devices; so there is not matter to fight with the router or spend too much time trying to go with WPA encryption if with WEP can work; this is when this can be changed, like when we are at home; and when we are in a public networks we just to realize that in some networks depending of what router is being used, that WLAN we will be connecting or not if WPA is used.
Coming back to Dynamite A02 RTM v 8.0 this rom work with WPA-PSK with the built in WiFi drivers, like L11, Football A07, Makuu WM6.1 VOIP Gold pro build 19965 get connected to WiFi w/ WPA-PSK without any special setup in the device or in the router, just turn on the WiFi with the side button or with the softkey, detect and choose the network, entry the password (make sure to untick "this is a hidden network") and will work just fine and steady during the time that you use the WiFi connection.
As illustrative setup the following are the parameters for my WiFi in the router Huawei EchoLife HS520S (however I had copied or tried to put as close as possible the setup for the trendnet router, I can not make to my AX or the other Cell WiFi phone 802.11b get connected with WPA-PSK with this trendnet router using this dyanmite rom or any other rom that is demonstrated that works without problems with the WiFi WPA-PSK; my laptop 802.11g and home PC 802.11g got connected all the times!):
1) Wireless Setting on Huawei Echolife HG520s:
Access Point: Enabled
Channel Id: channel 07 (2442 mhz), but anyother works!
SSID number: 1
Broadcast SSID: yes
Authentication Type: WPA - PSK
2) WPA - PSK
Encryption: TKIP
Pre-shared Key: xxxxxxxxxxx
3) Advanced setting
Beacon Interval: 100
RTS/CTS Threshold: 2347
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
DTIM: 1
802.11b/g: 802.11 b+g
4) Wireless MAC address filter
Active: Disable
Action: Allow association
--
** DHCP and NAT are set to Enabled.

With those parameters that Huawei Router work perfectly with Dynamite A02 RTM v8.0 in WPA-PSK (and with the other roms mentioned above), but is quite standard configuration, for that I'm mentioned the deficiency of some routers to connect with WPA-PSK on 802.11b devices like our Ax X51v.

I hope this be of help.

PS: X51v hardware revision must not be forgotten when we evaluate the response of the device in some different problems exposed here and in other threads or in the benchmarks; A00, A01, A02 (it must to exist, however I never had seen one of this) and A03 is another variable to evaluate our X51v, that must be better understood from us.

Last edited by mateobertrand; 12-19-2009 at 01:58 PM..
jclampy (12-19-2009)
Old 12-19-2009, 04:21 PM

Thumbs up Cheers, mateobertrand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateobertrand View Post
PS: X51v hardware revision must not be forgotten when we evaluate the response of the device in some different problems exposed here and in other threads or in the benchmarks; A00, A01, A02 (it must to exist, however I never had seen one of this) and A03 is another variable to evaluate our X51v, that must be better understood from us.
It wasn't a problem before since I was using revision A03 all the time for benchmarking. It is a shame there is a difference between revisions A03 and A01. I thought it might just have been what part of the world it was sold in.

I know the A01 revision I bought from a Russian and he said he got it in Russia. The A03 I am relatively sure has come from the Oceania region although not confirmed.

I just need to look at my benchmarking from now on as starting from a new page. What I had benchmarked with the A03 was correct, the benchmarking I do from now on has to be compared with A01 only.

I am currently thinking of trying 4.1MB (closest to 4096), 4.2MB, and 4.5MB with this Dynamite ROM. Also, after doing some more *real world* usage, I will be able to tell if there is a noticeable *feel* difference between the A01 and A03 revisions.

Makuu's final 6.1 ROM, I had another look at, but for me It is too buggy and I don't think the performance can be improved as it is already 4.8MB and *feels* slow.

I had another look at Football's A07. It is fast with it's 5MB default pagepool, so with tweaking the pagepool it may actually become the speed king??? Time will tell.

PS: Thankyou for all the details about WiFi connectivity. I will pass the information on, you have been a great help.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Lightbulb Trouble with latest Opera beta?

Bulmer has brought to my attention that there maybe an issue when running the latest Opera beta version.

This Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM has NetCF v3.5 already built-in.

Edit:
Are you using the latest Opera 10 Beta 2 version?
Newest version was just put up the other day.

I just downloaded from here;
http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/

Make sure you download the "for Windows Mobile phones" version.

I installed on a fresh flash of Dynamite A02 V8.0 RTM ROM so no additions by me.

It worked straight off. Damn, looks impressive and that is with 'turbo mode' off too.

It is so fast, including when using the menus. WOW, leaves other browsers for dead.

Cheers.

Last edited by jclampy; 12-22-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Problem solved just download new version of Opera Browser.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Pocket PC(s): x51v

bulmer is on a distinguished road

I was using the version before this one, so that may have been the problem .I'll post back about it as far as any NetCF problems go. Cheers all and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Pocket PC(s): Dell Axim x51 and x51v

tyhee is on a distinguished road

Hi jclampy,
you seem to have done a ton of work / research on which ROM is best, so
before I try dealing with my java issue, which ROM would you recommand for someone who uses his Axim 51v mainly as a navigational tool for his Ultralight airplane? I need something that is stable and can run MemoryMap Navigator and other mapping software.
I read through the WM6.1 Dynamite Edition Thread and you said Quote: "Please find attached a Dynamite A02 v8.0 RTM ROM with 4MB pagepool.
http://www.mediafire.com/?w1xwt2izzmz " ; so is this the way to go or should I go with Makuu A09 ???
Thank you for your time and "wisdom"
Old 12-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Arrow Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhee View Post
I read through the WM6.1 Dynamite Edition Thread and you said Quote: "Please find attached a Dynamite A02 v8.0 RTM ROM with 4MB pagepool.
http://www.mediafire.com/?w1xwt2izzmz " ; so is this the way to go or should I go with Makuu A09 ???
Thank you for your time and "wisdom"
There are two ROMs that I recommend;

I would recommend Footballs A07 WM6.1.

Dynamites A02 WM6.1 V8.0 RTM is very similar and it is a newer build and so has various bug fixes, etc..

Maybe try Footballs first to get a feel for WM6.1

I am still tweaking Dynamites ROM so, maybe not jump on this one just yet.

Cheers.